Thursday 21 June 2007

Gaming video connection test.

I wanted an Elite console for HDMI and the Black finish, the larger HDD was a bonus though I'm sure it may come in handy in the near future. I have turned my current 360 into a black console with the XCM Black Knight case. I have done some tests, though this may not be the ideal way to test but it's a test none the less and on my TV these are the results...
I have my PS3 connected by HDMI and 360 by VGA (VGA on my TV looks much better than component). I have downloaded the Colin McRae: DiRT trailer from the PS3 Store and I have the game on the Xbox 360 (which has the same trailer on the game disc) and so switched between HDMI(PS3) and VGA(360) and I will admit it was very hard to tell the difference. On closer inspection the PS3 with HDMI did look better as I had the console set to RGB under its display settings, but it was only noticable on the blacks which look a little bit darker. I realise this varies between TV's but it is the only way I could come up with some sort of test for my personal set up and I am now more than happy with my VGA connection. I did dig out the old Xbox 360 Component cable and did the same test, if Component was my only choice for a HD connection then I would be more inclined to uprgrade to the Elite for the HDMI but for my setup VGA and HDMI are almost identical, minus the zero overscan on VGA.
I will be looking into trying some other trailers and what not soon but I expect similar results.

I am glad I thought of trying this out as I have been tempted by the Elite for a while now, even to the point of considering importing one. This was because I just love the black finish of the console and was expecting some massive improvement over HDMI, while I have my console in black now and have reassured myself with my VGA connection I am certainly happy to stick with my own personalised Xbox 360 Elite, minus the HDMI connection and 120GB Hard Drive ;)

1 comment:

That 360 Blog said...

I'd Like to see some photos of the new black 360